All are meaningless and
chasing after the wind…"
…lamented King David 3000 years ago.
He should have seen how POWERFUL words are in the 21st century of high-octane commercialism, business capitalism and impulse buy advertising...
And regardless of the brand colors... the parallax web design... or the social media bells and whistles...
...without words that convert — you’re toast.
Yet how can you ensure the marketing words you deploy… your sales copy… your email campaigns… your landing pages… your sales collateral… your product descriptions… are all perfectly well optimized?
Why… By Vulcan Mind-Melding With Your Target Audience Of Course!
As a brash junior copywriter in 2007 at an advertising agency I wrote copy for dozens of clients and quickly hit my first major home run…
A 510% lead generation uplift for the agency's biggest client!
And it was such a simple process.
Let me show you...
How To Win More Customers Using 3 Ingredients That Beat A Marketing Agency By 510%!
In July 2007 (a month before the credit crunch hit the UK), the agency's existing control piece for that client pulled in a respectable 10 new business leads…
...yet my altogether different approach, based on the traditional principles of direct response copywriting, pulled in a whopping 61 leads -- each potentially worth 10 grand.
I reduced the 'marketing hype' and got inside the prospects mind to create empathy, speak to their unstated desire, show credibility, and make an offer they couldn’t refuse.
Wanna see the copy?
Oh alright then... click the button and you can read the entire email.
After seeing that campaign perform so well I wrote a white paper outlining my approach titled: "Exposing the Link Between Your Marketing Success And Your Copywriter Selection Process” detailing the 3 ingredients of offer, message and delivery (or results).
That paper still helps marketers and business owners select, evaluate, and guide their writers to deliver winning copy by making the link between:
- Business strategy (market definition, segmentation, and targeting)
- And the copywriter's process of ‘getting inside the head of the customer’.
It ensures you know more about finding and managing a copywriter who delivers winning copy than most marketing managers and company Directors ever do.
And it will help you evaluate me for the esteemed position of your next hired gun.
Continue below to read the contents of that white paper, updated for today's market.
"Exposing The Link Between Your Marketing Success And Your Copywriter Selection Process"
When Sales Copy Captures The Essence Of Your Product…
…it captures the imagination of your perfect prospect and becomes the most revealing business plan your competitors could possibly hope to steal from your high-security encrypted servers.
Because good copy will laser-focus on the essence of your marketing strategy, revealing your highest value audience, their buying process, the psychological triggers that make the sale, the sweet spot of your market for maximum conversions, and more.
How Can Sales Copy Put You Beyond The Reach Of Competition?
Because: Well crafted copy is not just a hyped-up collection of trigger words that automatically create an emotional buying frenzy…
Instead: Well-crafted copy pin-points product differentiation to demonstrate your genuine competitive advantage, wrapped within a unique ‘brand building’ emotionally bonding storyline that your competition simply can not duplicate.
You give your company great leverage by finding a copywriter who appreciates the considerations of strategic marketing and long-term brand positioning… someone that will become dedicated to a long-term relationship. This takes trust which can develop after the initial assignments success.
Having worked both sides of the fence… as a senior marketing manager (reporting to the Chairman of a marketing service provider, as Director of a small health and beauty company, etc) as well as 12+ years as a copywriter both freelance and for ad agencies… I learned…
Where Marketing And Copywriting Align
Undated handout photo of the slogan, first introduced by Heinz in the 1960's to sell baked beans.
Your copywriter must understand the essence of your company and product to build brand preference and response inside the mind of your target audience.
“…Positioning is not what you do to a product. Positioning is what you do to the mind of the prospect. That is, you position the product in the mind of the prospect.”– Positioning – The Battle For Your Mind, Al Ries and Jack Trout
For example: Kleenex = tissues. Fairy = washing up liquid. Red bull = energy drink. Or "Beanz Meanz Heinz".
"What does your company equal in the mind of your customers?"
At the start of our project together, we'll select a suitable positioning statement for the campaign brief. Something to the effect of:
My product helps [whom?] do [what?], [when?], better than any other product by [how?].
With strong product positioning, I can produce rock-solid sales copy.
Keen to get the ball rolling? Contact me to discuss your project or see below for how I write copy by...
Getting Inside The Mind Of Your Audience To Increase Conversions As Much As 510%
As an ad agency copywriter in 2007 I wrote copy for dozens of agency clients and quickly hit my first major home run…
An email I wrote for the agency’s largest client account beat the current control (best performing email to date) by 510%.
The agency’s email pulled in a respectable 10 new enquiries…
…yet my altogether different approach, based on the traditional principles of direct response copywriting, pulled in a record breaking 61 enquiries — each potentially worth 10 grand.
I reduced the ‘marketing hype’ and got inside the prospects mind to create empathy, speak to their unstated desire, show credibility, and make an offer they couldn’t refuse.
How Long Should Copy Be?
An old copywriting joke reveals:
“Copy should be like a lady’s skirt. Long enough to cover the essentials, but short enough to keep things interesting”.
Length all depends on what’s going on inside the mind of your audience and the marketplace. It’s said in sales that ‘the more you tell, the more you sell’… providing it’s relevant and interesting.
So while you personally may not be interested in the topic of the 510% email copy sample, try putting yourself in the mind of someone who likes to make use of personal loans, has one already from XYZ Finance Company and then receives this email.
We go through a digital process of deciphering the DNA-code of each unique market at this current moment in time, consider your prospects circumstances, the sources of traffic, the brands voice, and so on.
And we both know anything like a 510% increase in conversion rate for your sales funnel would mean a great deal to you…
To achieve a significant uplift in your campaign performance I need as much background material as you can share with me.
I can then conduct proper due diligence and apply my copy development process to deliver optimized copy that moves minds and opens wallets.
We work with independent startup Directors, Direct Response Firms, Agencies, and big Corporates. Let me know what you need to achieve and perhaps we really can take your market by storm.
Lead Generation Copy
Cold Traffic & Reactivation Campaigns With Banners, Print Ads, Email, Landing Pages, Social Media Messaging, Etc.
Key to cold traffic lead generation is aligning with the emotional backdrop of your prospects situation.
Does he want to solve a practical problem? Seek higher social status? Or just have fun? Or fill an emotional hole with romance, travel or ice-cream?
I take time to get inside the mind of your prospect and understand the essence of your product to write copy that gets clicks.
I also work to tailor the copy for the different marketing channels that you want to use.
Email copy to a 3rd party cold list is very different than product description copy on an e-commerce site.
The medium impacts the message.
Building Brand Preference By Adding Value & Aligning With The Prospects Beliefs, Frustrations and Desires
So you have a list or following of new prospects...
Maybe they requested some free info, or clicked 'like' on one of your content items. How can you nurture that new relationship into a genuine sales opportunity?
Nurture copy typically includes email campaigns and social media updates that focus on building credibility, brand preference and anticipation.
Keep In Touch
The nurture copy I write will help maintain the connection and keep your brand positively front-of-mind with the prospect until he or she is ready to make a buying decision.
Ask about me prospect nurture packages including both email series and social updates.
High-Impact Sales Copy In Long-Form Text Or Video Sales Letters
We begin by filling in the blanks of this positioning statement for your campaign:
This campaign is for [audience] giving them a way to [outcome], when they [situation], better than competitors by [mechanism].
I then go to work and develop a copy platform by answering the following 9 questions that must be answered one way or another in the mind of the prospect before they will buy.
1. Is it Desireable?
- The Problem? – What problem faced by your prospect does your product address? What is the prospects most relevant problem or greatest frustration?
- The Solution? – How can you describe the solution your product provides in a clear and compelling way? What does your product do for the prospect? What benefit does it provide? What pain does it remove for them?
- Specialness? – Why should the prospect buy YOUR solution, rather than your competitors? How does it stand out? What’s unique, better, or preferable about your product?
2. Is it Credible?
- What’s the Background? – How can you drive home the pain of the problem and joy of the solution through a story or case study that demonstrates the product and builds a human bond with the prospect?
- Where’s the proof? – How can you logically or experientially demonstrate the validity of your proposed solution? How can you prove that your product does what you promise that it can? (Has it worked for your clients? Has a similar product worked for anyone else? Can you “borrow” proof from another product or person like a celebrity or authority figure?)
- Have you handled possible objections? – What questions, concerns, and barriers may your prospect have with regards to your offer? And how can you resolve them?
3. Is it Worth It?
- What is the risk? – Making it easy to say ‘yes’ is the goal of risk reversal. It’s the perceived risk and not price that keeps your clients from moving forward. Eliminate the risk and the client buys. (High risk items include B2B contract services, and expensive purchase items like a new car) What assurances does the prospect have about the products performance? What guarantee does he have?
- Is there enough value? – Is it worth the money and time to get and use your product for the perceived benefit to be gained? (In business, what will be the ROI? For a consumer product, is the benefit of the product worth the monetary and/or time costs of getting the product?)
- Are there opportunity costs? – What are the possible negative consequences of taking up the offer? What will the prospect not have time, money, space for if he accepts your offer?
Then I get creative and brainstorm ideas until an outline develops that speaks to the above 9 points in a compelling way for your audience.
The copy needs to:
- Engage the reader.
- Fully demonstrate the gain offered by the product.
- Handle potential objections.
- Deliver social proof in the form of credentials and testimonials.
- Pinpoint the unique selling proposition.
- Make the product benefits incredibly compelling — yet totally believable.
- Match with the prospects beliefs, frustrations, and desires.
- Satisfies your prospects skepticism (by being transparent, honest, personal, and logical).
- Remove the risk (with quality assurances and guarantees).
- Build anticipation and excitement of using the product.
- And compel them to take immediate action.
The key to success online with text or video sales letters is to optimize performance based on tracking results.
A 1% vs a 3% conversion rate can make all the difference. We need to know real numbers and test variations to ensure we maximize the results.
SPLIT TESTING SINCE 2006
Despite running split-tests since 2006 for dozens of campaigns, I still favor Gene Schwartz's view that 'only the test decides'... because with experience comes the humility of being curious about what will work best.