My business is almost bankrupt.
[Name withheld] is sitting with me and he tells me you can help. I hope you can.
I am getting 4000+ visits per day to my home page but no conversations.
And 1700 visits to my wholesale page [url snipped] but very few signing on (about 1-2 per day). After they register as a wholesale customer (many retail people also register not knowing that this is for wholesale only), I activate the account and send them the following email.
Can you see if there is something obvious that we are doing wrong. I was getting about 4-6 wholesale signups a day but now it is 1 or 2. With your help I hope I can turn this around.
Having spent 5 minutes on the site, here was my response:
First, here is the most successful small business owned ecommerce site I know of (Millions US$ revenue per year):
Lots to learn from on there. Â The way they categorise, display and sell. Â They also have a McAfee Secure etc buttons that helps boost conversions.
Besides that, 2 big questions come to mind:
- Have you changed ANYTHING at all on the site or the payment gateway or emails etc since you dropped from 6 signups to 2 signups?
- Has the source of visitors changed at all. Â What countries do 80% of your customers come from?Â Spend time in google analytics to look at the traffic source at the time you was getting 6 signups vs now, and see if you have lost any good lead sources. Â You really should be able to tell what lead sources convert into optins and customers. Â You can do some of that by using the Goal function in google analytics.
Beyond that, explain to me the logic of your site, how you expect visitors to turn into customers, and I can then offer ideas how to increase specific conversion points.
- Do most of your customers buy first directly from the sites shopping cart, or do most of them register as a buyer first?
- Are your customers end users or are they distributors or shop keepers or what?
- What percentage of your customers are new vs existing customers?
- Is there new competition available to visitors that come from the same sources of traffic you get that might be stealing your customers?
You should also be using Google Web Optimiser to do split tests throughout the site.
These are questions as business owners we should know. Â I learned a lesson from a successful business guy many years ago who said to me â€˜Treat it like a hobby — and youâ€™ll get a hobby income. Treat it like a business — and youâ€™ll get a business incomeâ€™.
Once I get the feedback from these initial questions I will be able to dig into the details and will offer my recommendations.
Want to benefit from my 11 years of website marketing experience too?
Hunt around the website for what treasures you might find.